Monday, September 28, 2009

Photos: Week 11


The Island Commuter Ferry. The car ferry has been undergoing scheduled maintenance for a few weeks and finally returns this Wednesday.


View Downhill. The view East enjoyed by people and Alpaca (photo coming next week!) alike.


Island Graffiti. A delicately colored shed door.


Guardhouse. A tiny structure at the beginning of a driveway.


A Boatload of Flowers. Repurposing boats in this way is a fad in this area.


Bacon Caramels. I made these a few days ago and they are incredibly delicious and, of course, sinful.


Typical Island Driveway. I always wonder what kind of house lies behind the trees.

4 comments:

April McCoy said...

Oooh, can you send me some bacon caramels? They look strange, but intriguing and since you say they are delicious, I really want to try them!

RRigdon said...

Please tell more about the bacon caramels.

Sophia said...

The bacon caramels are a lot of work, but are totally worth the effort. The result is this chewy, creamy, sweet and salty wonderfulness that makes you wonder why Hershey has has yet to produce a bacon chocolate bar (although Vosges has... and I've had it and it's good). If you're interested, I found the recipe here:

http://notwithoutsalt.com/2009/07/06/bacon-caramels/

If you try them, let me know what you think! (I used 10 pieces of bacon, which was PLENTY.) I assume you could also substitute bacon for pretty much anything... pieces of macadamia nuts? Smashed bits of candy canes? The possibilities are endless.

And yes, my 3rd career option (after attorney-ing and photography) is opening my own bakery and pastry shop. :-)

RRigdon said...

Oh my word. You better believe I'm going to make that over the holidays. I will let you know what I think. Which I know right now what I think. I think bacon caramel is crack-cocaine, and once I start, I shan't be able to stop.